Thursday, December 2, 2010

"Tangerine" by Jonathan Aller

"Tangerine"
7 x 5 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Hi everyone! I'm back and it feels so good to paint these little guys again.  I've been busy getting ready for shows and commissions, finally it's calmed down and I'm able to dedicate more time to these paintings.  It was a little rough at first getting started with this painting since I've been out of the loop for a couple weeks.  After 20 minutes I felt like I never left it, I really enjoy painting these alla prima's.  It's so crucial for the development of one's technique, the more you practice the more you get to know your craft and the better you get.  
I was at the store and noticed this wonderful tangerine, its stems and leaves have so much character to them.  The way a leaf is positioned can easily say so much and also be so subtle.  Painting tangerines can be challenging due to the subtle shifts of oranges and yellows.  At the same time the lighter areas can be so much fun, you can play with the impasto's and be gestural.  

Click here to view the making of this painting:

No comments:

Post a Comment