Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Tangerine & Vase" by Jonathan Aller

"Tangerine and Vase"
10 x 8 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Hi everyone I'm back! I was gone on vacation visiting family in Miami for a week, I forgot to bring my paints with me so I sketched in my book the whole time.  It was so good sketching again its been a while since I've drawn like that, I truly missed it and had so much fun doing it.  I'll post the sketches up soon.  
This painting is a little different than my usual alla prima's, I decided to paint a porcelain vase and a marble base.  These two surfaces demand a lot of concentration in order to get the textures right.  The lighting I used also created another challenge in order for them to look right.  Adding the tangerine was important in order for the chroma to pop and to keep your eyes moving around.  Playing with this lighting, composition, and objects was more fun than I thought. 

You can see the making of this painting on my blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment