Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Saving Cherries" by Jonathan Aller

"Saving Cherries"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I've been so busy lately with other paintings its good to step a way and pump one of these out through out the day.  Especially now since I know with the holiday coming up I won't have time to paint, which means i'll be twitching for a couple days feening to paint.  I was at the grocery store today and could not walk away from these cherries, I guess since spring is here and summer is around the corner they are just everywhere.  Here in Minneapolis spring is short lived because of our long winters sometimes we just jump straight into summer, but everyone once in a while spring pops up and its just beautiful outside.  Thats one of the things I really appreciate living up here is seeing the change of seasons and how beautiful it is, being born and raised in Miami, FL I only know one season summer.  Cherries are always a favorite of mine to paint, their deep reds and smooth surface always brings me back to them.  They are deceiving though they seem simple to paint but they have their challenges, the intense red and subtle value shifts make it tricky to paint.  A good challenge for someone if they want to learn how to paint smooth surfaces and subtle value and chroma shifts.  

See the making of this painting on my blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment