Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"Roses" by Jonathan Aller

"Roses"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
These roses I gave to my wonderful girlfriend, she just got a promotion at her job and wanted to surprise her.  She brought it home after a while which I'm glad for, seeing how beautiful they are I had to paint them.  I've been painting fruits on marble for a while and wanted to re-visit flowers, painting marble is fun but you have to be very meticulous with every section of it or its not going to look right.  It's great practice as mentioned in previous posts but I do need a little break from painting them so much.  These roses are beautiful in shape and color, each pedal has its own value scale that can be challenging after so many.  I feel after painting marble for a while I can tackle on anything, funny thing is I said the same thing when I finished painting peonies.  I'm finding when painting new objects that it has its own characteristics, you have to just break it down and simplify it in order to better understand what you'r painting.  
I wanted to remind everyone again that I will be giving a live demo at the Uptown Art Fair, it'll be on August 5 which is this Friday from 1-5 p.m.  It'll be great to see you guys there!  I will also be teaching a still life and figure drawing workshops at the Bloomington Art Center, if anyone's interested you can now sign up for the classes.  Click here to sign up!


You can see the making of this painting on my blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment