Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Subtle Roses" by Jonathan Aller

"Subtle Roses"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I really liked the roses I painted at the demo, I decided to get another bunch that where similar and painted them again.  This time I felt I had more time and a better set up to paint.  These roses have so much beauty between each pedal, you have to be careful painting pedals they can become generic very quick.  The ferns also played a supporting role to the roses, I decided to keep them soft and not rendered as much as the roses.  This keeps more of the attention to the roses which was more of the direction I was going.  I did this painting in a flemish style, I was able to render the values with a burnt umber  and just concentrate getting all the tones right.  Once the tones are working I add color on top of the values, doing this allows me to have a stronger painting since the drawing and tones are in tact.  I'm a firm believer that you have to know how to draw in order to paint well, essentially painting is drawing just with a brush and some color.

You can see the making of this painting on my blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment