Friday, November 4, 2011

"Black Grapes" by Jonathan Aller

"Black Grapes"
10 x 8 in 
Oil on Canvas Panel
I wanted to try a different composition with these beautiful grapes, I pictured this setup in my mind when I was in the kitchen and when I put the two objects together I knew it was right.  There's something about the rustic old vase combined with the grapes that compliment each other really well.  I also like the subtle cool colors these two create, when working on the vase it was a challenge trying to recreate its textures.  Painting the grapes was so much fun from the darkest values to the lightest texture applied.  Grapes have so much beautiful little textures within them if captured correctly it'll push the painting to that next level.  Since the painting is done I can truly enjoy eating these delicious grapes! 
I wasn't going to do process photos with this one but then decided last second to do so, I've been so busy that I don't have time to do these process photos glad I did though it's been to long.  I also wanted to do them to celebrate the weekend being here, these last couple weeks have been really hectic with teaching and getting bigger paintings complete that doing these alla prima's have been tight on time to do.  I really do enjoy sharing my process and miss doing that although I did get used to just going from one stage to the other without stopping and taking photos, I caught myself doing that a couple times I had to slow down for the majority of this painting.  As stated before glad to have done the process photos, I hope in the future I'm able to do them on a consistent basis.

You can see the making of this painting on my blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment